Thursday, April 21, 2011

Stir Fry Sauce


During the Lenten Season, it's hard for me to think of tasty meatless Friday night solutions. We have meatless dinners, plenty of nights without even thinking about it, so what is my problem during Lent?  It must be that whole "you shouldn't eat meat thing" that makes me want it! The minute I know I can't use certain ingredients to cook with, I get immediate writers block of the culinary kind, sending me into a panic mode, and before you know it, I am reaching for the fish sticks in the freezer case of my grocery store. Um, yikes is right. Then I feel like a really horrible mother because what exactly am I teaching my daughter? Certainly not any type of problem solving, or creativity,  most certainly not that fish should taste like fish and last but not least "there go all my Top Chef dreams! Do you see how I can go from zero to sixty (in my head) sometimes with very little provocation? Yeah I know, I'm working on that whole "chill out" thing.....Thank goodness I have this tasty little sauce to fall back on, making many nights a lot easier, not just Fridays and helping to eliminate the mommy guilt.....

This sauce is wonderful with shrimp, chicken, tofu, or just veggies!

Stir Fry Sauce:

6 tablespoons soy sauce (I recommend Yamasa)
4 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons sriracha hot sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water


In a small bowl mix together the cornstarch and water until smooth. then add the other ingredients and mix together well. Set aside.

For Stir fry:

1-2 pounds sliced, chopped vegetables. (Bok Choy, Red Bell Pepper, Cabbage, Broccoli, Carrot, Snap Peas)
3/4 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
( 3/4 pound firm tofu or 1 pound chopped chicken breasts)
1 tablespoon sesame oil

In a wok or large skillet heat sesame oil over medium high heat. Add shrimp. Add vegetables. Cook 4-5 minutes until about done. Add stir fry sauce and continue cooking until heated. Serve with rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment