Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Portuguese Beans

Sofia browning the sausages & onions

If you grew up where I did in the Central Valley of California, chances are you have had some version of these beans, whether you are Portuguese or not. Every family generally has their own "special" recipe for these, this is the recipe I happen to like, which is actually my stepmom Diane's recipe. She had this recipe passed down to her from her Aunt. And so it goes, and so it goes, every family has their own secrets, and every Aunt has "the best recipe", it's a pride thing. Tweak as you go if you like, but I suggest following this recipe to a tee, the first time through, because you see, it really is the best!!

These beans are great for barbecue season as a side dish, but they also make a comforting meal with some garlic bread and a simple salad. Whatever you do, don't forget the garlic bread!

Portuguese Beans
Serves 6 as a meal, 15 as a side dish
olive oil
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1 lb Linguica sausages or rope of  Linguica, cut into thin 1/2 moons
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pepper

1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes or plain tomato sauce
2 (28 oz) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained (this gets rid of the added starch) You can also use dried beans, soaked overnight.

Brown Linguica and onion in a little olive oil over medium heat. When onion and Linguica are browned put them into a crock pot with beans and tomatoes. Cook 2-3 hours. The LAST 1/2 hour of cooking, add spices, mix together and cook another 1/2 hour. These beans will keep for hours after being cooked, simply set your crock pot to the WARM setting. You can also use a covered pot on the stove for this, but I find a crock pot is easier to control even cooking for long periods of time!



Beans don't photograph well, but they should look something like this!


8 comments:

  1. I'm always looking for great crockpot recipes so when I found this one is was excited. We make filhos with my boyfriends family every year and so I wanted to stay with the theme of things I decided to make these up! Oh my goodness what a fabulous recipe this is! Thank you very much for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obrigado Angie! Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound just like my Grandma made....I am alao from the Central Valley...thnx for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hail from Livingston, California in the Central (San Joaquin) Valley I had several Portuguese friends, and whenever I went to their houses, their Moms always had a pot of these on the stove. I have never forgotten the smell, and figured out that cinnamon was what it was...I had thought cinnamon was only for sweet baked goodies. They were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Patricia, very familiar with Livingston- that area and Delhi are where ,y family is from as well! Such a taste of home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also from the Central Valley of California, Turlock. Making these for my Portuguese husband. What is the crockpot setting, high or low?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies, I am just seeing this. I should have mentione that crockpot setting is low.

      Delete
    2. How much dried beans and what kind do you use thank you

      Delete