Thursday, March 29, 2012

Beer Bars

My Husband....

I have to admit something to you. I have become a beer snob. Being a snob about anything isn't exactly flattering, so this isn't something that I am especially proud of, but somehow, someway, it just happened. I realized this blight on my character a few Fridays ago as I drove 12 miles in traffic with the rain pouring down to get my growler filled. There are perfectly good grocery stores down the street from my house, but I wanted fresh beer, damn't. (see, this is the extent to which I will go for my beer.) Sometimes I drive my poor husband a little crazy in my quest for not only fresh beer, but "special" beers, making him drive across town because I heard such and such a place has ___ beer on tap.  How this happened to a girl from California who grew up drinking Coors Light out of cans on canal banks I'll never know, but it is what it is. The only good thing about this is that at least I can share some of my favorite beer watering holes with you.....

Saraveza

This Cozy little spot in North Portland has some of the coolest tabletops in town, a constantly changing tap selection that will satisfy any beer geek, a refrigerator full of rare bottled beers for sale, and homemade jalapeño poppers. Once a month they even give away free bacon with your pint of beer! What's not to like?



Apex

This SE PDX beer bar isn't exactly my kind of place atmosphere-wise. Think pinball machines, heavy metal, and graffitied restrooms. (My husband loves it of course.) However, the 50 tap beer selection (which is displayed on flatscreens above the bar)can't be beat. Before going I don't even need to check my Taplister app to see what they are serving, because I know they are going to have more than enough good stuff on tap to choose from.

Produce Row

The enclosed back patio of this place is the real draw for me here. In the Winter, they have heaters set up, so you can enjoy your pint without a jacket. The beer menu has a few choices of each style, and I just adore their whiskey and beer pairings. You feel equally at home here with a large group or on a date.


whiskey & beer pairing

Mainbrew

This blog post might be insinuating to the contrary, but having two energetic (but adorable) little girls, leaves little time to be out and about beer tasting. Luckily, there is a homebrew supply store close to my husband's work that has over 300 different types of local and hard to find bottled beers as well as 6 rotating taps. They almost always have a keg of Boneyard (my current favorite brewery) on tap for growler filling. If you can't decide on a beer, they also sell grenades (32 ouncers). Mainbrew's staff is friendly and knowledgable, beer is categorized into sections based on style, and they even have a kid's play area so you can take your time browsing! Thursday evenings they offer "Thirsty Thursday" beer tastings!

No comments:

Post a Comment