Thursday, November 8, 2012

Slow Cooker Soy Ginger Chicken Linguine

                                                                
Random things I am currently obsessed with: lamb gyros, rose gold jewelry, intarsia sweaters, and cooking in my slow cooker. My slow cooker or as it is better known in my house by the label of crock pot, was a wedding gift; a 4 qt Red Rival that does a fantastic job. However, it is starting to show signs of use and is sometimes a little too small.....This fact became laughably apparent last month when I made a chili and spent most of the time hovering around trying to keep the lid secure and all the ingredients inside the pot. (Thus defeating the greatest benefit of cooking with a crockpot, the "fix it and forget about it" aspect!) Right now I have my eye on this 6 Qt beauty Here at Target.(Hint, hint, Merry Christmas!) Over the years, my crockpot has been put to use at least a few times a year for dinners like beef stew, carnitas, and stroganoff; but until now I didn't really use it routinely. Now I find that if I put it to use at least once a week it cuts down on my stress level, frees up time, and provides a hot and filling meal for my family with plenty of leftovers for eating or freezing. 

 This recipe is adapted from a similar one on Martha Stewart.com except that I changed it quite a bit and made it into a pasta dish. The chicken part of the recipe on it's own would be good served over rice as well.

Soy Ginger Chicken Linguine

For chicken:

8-9 chicken thighs, bone in and skin removed 
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced into rounds
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 red onion, chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon ground coriander

Garnishments: 

1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 green onions sliced
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped

For Linguine:

1 lb linguine
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons soy sauce


In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients for chicken, minus the garnishments.  Cook on low 
until chicken is falling apart,  about 5 hours. Remove bones and any little fatty skin bits. Turn the cooker to warm and start on the pasta portion.

Cook pasta until al Dente in a large pot of salted, boiling water and drain. In the same pot over medium heat, add the sesame oil. When you start to smell the sesame oil, about a minute, add red pepper flakes, cook 1 minute and add soy sauce. Add slow cooker chicken and then linguine.. Mix together until well combined. Top with garnishments and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment