Sunday, September 6, 2015

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

Before Roasting

Fall is my absolute favorite season. The first sign around here of Fall's approaching arrival are when the first rains come, and the evenings get a touch more chilly, forcing you to break out that extra blanket for the bed. Or, if you are anything like me, it might also be the first time you have had a desire to turn on your hot oven in a few months! Although I love the anticipation of Fall and what it brings, I often feel reluctant to let Summer go. I find myself hoping for one last day to squeeze in by the pool, one last late night BBQ with friends, one last adventure to put the brakes on life for a day. Anything really that will slow time down, just a little. Change can be hard.

I had a bunch of beautiful Brandywine heirloom tomatoes sitting on my kitchen counter and I just couldn't eat them fast enough, no matter how hard I tried. Rather then sit and watch them die a slow death, I decided to slow roast them in my oven. A simple idea really, but one that will let me have a taste of summer just a little while longer.

 7-8 tomatoes, garden variety, you can use any type you want, although you may have to adjust cooking time.
7 garlic cloves
Fresh Thyme sprigs
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil

Preheat your oven to 225 degrees. Line a heavy rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Slice tomatoes and lay on baking sheet. Scatter garlic cloves between tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (not too much salt, these will reduce). Drizzle with a healthy dose of olive oil. Roast tomatoes, turning every so often if you like about 3.5-4hrs.

I love to toss these tomatoes in big bowl of pasta, but they are also excellent served with cheese and crackers or on a sandwich, preferably one with bacon!

My favorite gluten free pasta- you really can't even tell the difference!
Let's hope this gal will survive my brown thumb and the Fall!




After 3.5 hours

















No comments:

Post a Comment