Monday, March 16, 2009

Light & Easy Avocado & Red Grapefruit Salad....Maybe it will make the rain go away



As I mentioned in a previous blog, my husband has high cholesterol. With that being said, it means that sometimes I make small (albeit big for animal fat loving me) sacrifices to serve healthy, cholesterol -free meals. So from now on when I am posting recipes, if possible I will also note changes you can make to the meal to cut the cholesterol .

One evening I had Costcoed up on avocados and needed to use them before they went bad so I came up with this easy salad. We had this for dinner, but I think it would be a lot more satisfying as a brunch/lunch dish or as a side dish. The vinaigrette really complimented the grapefruit, (it cut the tartness) in fact you could even omit the avocado and add more grapefruit and just have a grapefruit salad. This salad serves 2 as a meal.

Ingredients:
2 Avocados
1 Ruby Red Grapefruit
Chopped Almonds (optional)

Vinaigrette:
The juice of 1 lemon (Tip: if you don’t have a juicer just twist a fork inside the lemon to get all that juice!)
1 tb mustard (I used Guldens brown mustard but a whole grain or Dijon would work just as well.)
1 tsp kosher salt
Pepper to taste
¼ cup olive oil
Combine first 4 ingredients and then whisk in olive oil slowly until emulsified.

Directions:
Cut open avocados, pit and slice. (You will get about 6 slices out of each half of avocado.) Segment the grapefruit, removing any peel. Place avocados on plate and then top with grapefruit. Pour vinaigrette over. Sprinkle with chopped almonds for added crunch.



No comments:

Post a Comment