Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Basil Aioli


BLTS, other wise known as bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches have always been my ultimate comfort food. When I was little, my mom would make BLTS and chocolate shakes as a special dinner for my sister and I. Now, whenever I need a little pick me up, guess what I'm having? Even if I am feeling lazy, I'm lucky enough to live just down the street from the best little diner. A diner that has cornered the market on this particular combination.

The first year Jon and I were married we ate BLTS for dinner EVERY Sunday night. Ten newlywed pounds and a high cholesterol diagnosis for the hubby later, we cut out that Sunday night ritual, saving those comforting bacon sandwiches for "special" occasions. "Special" occasions where I can think of a better reason besides just wanting to eat bacon and mayonnaise together, and what is more special than mom coming to visit? On her last trip up, inspired by my abundance of basil, (and basil being the one herb that I didn't kill in the heat wave!) I decided to experiment with a basil mayonnaise, or basil aioli. This basil aioli is fantastic! The aioli elevated my BLT from ordinary to definitively "special occasion-ish".

After reading this list of ingredients, you might be thinking to yourself: anchovy paste? Seriously? Seriously. This is the secret ingredient. And if you are thinking what am I going to do with the leftover anchovy paste? Well, it keeps forever, you will want to make this aioli again , and anchovy paste is a great ingredient to add to zesty tomato sauces. If you aren't a fan of the bacon sandwich, don't worry, this aioli would be wonderful on any sandwich! I often use the leftovers to dress a simple sandwich of lettuce and roast chicken.


Basil Aioli
Adapted from a recipe in the July 2008 issue of Bon Appetit Magazine

Yield: 1/2 cup , recipe can be easily doubled!

1/2 Cup mayonnaise (Best Foods!)
10 leaves fresh basil
1 garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon warm water
generous dash of cayenne pepper

In a food processor combine mayonnaise, anchovy paste, basil, garlic, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce until smooth, slowly add in warm water, lemon juice, and cayenne. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Keep refrigerated until using.

No comments:

Post a Comment