Monday, October 12, 2009

Spaghetti Carbonara


I have always been a little scared to make this, for a long time it didn't sound that appealing, and for a shorter amount of time I didn't think I could do it, I just knew I would end up with scrambled eggs and spaghetti noodles.....and to be honest, when I was testing out different recipes, I did end up with just that! Practice makes perfect though, and I wish I had discovered spaghetti carbonara a long time ago! There are oh so many different versions of spaghetti carbonara out there, but I like this one, simple, comforting and quite a mouthful!

Spaghetti Carbonara
Serves 4

5 ounces pancetta, thinly sliced or finely diced
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely grated or pressed
3 eggs
1 cup finely grated Parmesan
1/2 cup pasta water
1 pound spaghetti
3-4 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
Salt and Pepper

Start a pot of salted water to boil. In medium saucepan, heat olive oil and pancetta over medium/medium high heat until pancetta is brown and crisp, about 6 minutes. When pancetta is brown, add in finely grated garlic and cook until just fragrant, about a minute. Remove from heat. (You might want to keep this on a very low flame to keep warm while you prepare the rest of the dish!) In a small mixing bowl, whisk together Parmesan and 3 eggs until mixture is smooth and free of lumps, set aside. Cook Spaghetti until al dente, about 9-10 minutes, making sure to reserve about a 1/2 cup of pasta water. Now this is the part you have to be precise and quick about or you will end up with scrambled eggs!! Drain pasta and immediately toss hot pasta with olive oil and pancetta until all the pasta is completely coated in pot. Make sure there is no heat still on/under pot! As soon as pasta is coated, add egg mixture tossing pasta and eggs rapidly with tongs until well combined. Don't worry, the heat from the pasta will cook the eggs! Add pasta water if needed to thin the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately!


1 comment:

  1. Love carbonara! I personally prefer white sauce more than the red sauce..so carbonara is like my favorite :D I hope you come back to blogging though... or did you move to another site?

    Cheers,
    Amy @ Foodista

    ReplyDelete