Saturday, February 5, 2011

Ramen


Trying to knock myself out of the winter doldrums, I have been on a big Asian food kick lately, craving Thai curries, fusion stir fries, and Japanese Ramen.  I used to be afraid of cooking any type of Asian food, but as with any cuisine that is foreign to you, all that is needed is a little research. Like all cooking, once you familiarize yourself with key flavor combinations and ingredients, it's actually pretty easy.  There is also the added reward of satisfying your taste buds at home, rather than going out to eat, which isn't always plausible with 2 children, especially if you have a 3 year old with a taste for sushi. !$$$$!

I struggled with wanting to call this post " Semi-Homemade Ramen" but decided against it because I really can't stand that particular food network show. I'm sure Sandra Lee is a nice enough person but her tacky kitsch decorating that goes along with every single one of her blue cocktails topped with shredded coconut meals really creeps me out..... However, the truth of the matter is that this ramen is not the "authentic" ramen you would get from a Japanese chef. I don't make my own noodles, and my broth isn't homemade dashi, however I think it still tastes better than other versions I've had in a few restaurants (that will remain unmentioned) around town. 

Locally, I like to shop for Asian ingredients at Uwajimaya. However, you can find all these ingredients in any well stocked market. The great thing about cooking Asian style food is that once you load your pantry up with a few essential ingredients, they'll last you a long time. An important ingredient in Asian cooking is actually sesame oil, just a little goes a long way in developing lots of flavor. Make sure to use sesame oil in your stir fries too, rather than vegetable oil, it makes such a difference!
Udon Noodles, Chili Garlic Sauce, &  Ginger


This ramen is pretty inexpensive, costing around 5 dollars to make. But if you are anything like my husband you are probably thinking to yourself "What, the Ramen I made in college only cost 15 cents!" Of course this tastes so much better, but besides all that do you really want to eat the way you ate in college??

Ramen
Serves 2-3

1 Tablespoon pure sesame oil
2 Garlic cloves, minced fine
1 Tablespoon ginger, minced fine
1/2 Tablespoon Thai chili garlic paste
4-5 Cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
4 cups low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 package original flavor Udon noodles, plus seasoning packet
2 eggs

Note about ingredients: I love my ramen extra spicy, so I actually add a whole tablespoon chili garlic paste, but only do this if you like a lot of spice. If you prefer no spice, just omit the chili garlic paste all together!

In a large soup pot heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, and chili paste, mix together until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms, cook another minute or two more. Add your broth and bring to a slow boil. When water is boiling, add noodles and udon seasoning packet, stir. Add eggs, dropping in one at a time. (you are basically poaching the egg in the broth). Let everything cook about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately!




And on a completely unrelated note, meet my Eva, the newest addition to our clan. Isn't she cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment