Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fish Tacos with Avocado & Tomato Salsa

I have decided this is going to be my shout out blog post . So please oblige me on these 3 shout outs. I am afterall, still sharing a recipe with you. The # 1 shout out is to my little cousin Aaron ( he is actually not so little anymore, but to me he will remain for all intensive purposes, my little cousin.) Aaron is serving over in Iraq right now. Thank you for the great job you are doing, we love you!! The #2 shout out is to 2 of my oldest friends, Liz & Kim who came up to visit this weekend. Thanks for coming and sharing your love for breakfast & beer! And finally my 3rd shout out is to my Aunt Wendy, who has to eat gluten free and often can not make the recipes I post. The following recipe however she can, so here is to you Wendy, cook this!

After a fun-filled but exhausting 3 day weekend, (Thank you Kim & Liz!) I am finally back into the cooking swing of things. I made these fish tacos tonight and they were really fresh, light , and tasty, basically the quintessential summer dinner. I used Rockfish (abundant in the PNW) but you could use Red Snapper, Cod, or even Catfish. You basically just want a light fish that won’t be too overpowering, that will absorb a lot of flavor, and stand up to broiling. This recipe is healthy & figure friendly, not to mention gluten-free (Wendy, make this!)

This recipe serves 4!

For the Salsa:

4 Plum/Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 Large Hass avocado, peeled & chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 Tablespoons green onions, chopped
3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
½ Jalapeno, minced with seeds.
Salt & pepper

Mix in medium bowl, season with salt and pepper. Let the flavors hang out and come together while you make the rest of the meal.


For the Fish:

1 Pound fish fillets, skinned & de-boned
2 Garlic cloves, minced
3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
½ Jalapeno, minced with seeds
2 Cups thinly sliced leaf lettuce
¼ Cup pepper jack or Cotija cheese
6 -inch corn or flour totrtillas

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place fish fillets in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt & pepper. Mix garlic, lime juice, and jalapeno in a small bowl. Drizzle half the lime juice mixture over fish, reserving remainder. Let fish stand 15 minutes.




Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and place in oven until heated through (about the 15 minutes). Remove tortillas, keeping them in foil until ready to serve. Preheat broiler. Broil fish until just opaque in center, about 6-8 minutes. Cut fish into 1 inch pieces. Top each tortilla with lettuce, fish, and some of the reserved lime juice mixture. Spoon salsa over and sprinkle with cheese. Enjoy!

This past weekend was Memorial Day Weekend, if you didn’t notice. We don’t just get a 3 day weekend at the beginning of summer so we can all barbeque and work on our tan. Men and women that have served and are serving our country as we speak, are the reason we celebrate this holiday, so please don’t forget that! Miss you Aaron! (Aaron is the Airman 3rd from the left, shaking hands.)

4 comments:

  1. The tacos look and sound wonderful! Trying this weekend. I'm hand-delivering recipe to Wendy! Thanks for sharing picture of Aaron/comrades. Now I know why Papa was touched. Love you, Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved them!!! I used Mahi mahi and did it on the bbq (to hot inside) and added some mango to the salsa! It was delicious and we all loved them! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so delicious with the mango! I definetly am trying it that way next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. can you make these for me when i come visit thanks

    ReplyDelete