Thursday, May 21, 2009

Parmesan & Fresh Basil Cream Sauce


I recently bought these very rich smoked salmon raviolis by Monterey Pasta Company. The first time I had these, I made a simple pasta sauce out of olive oil and fresh basil but it just didn't pair well together, the smoked salmon was a little too strong for the basic olive oil dressing. The ravioli really needed a sauce that was equally rich and indulgent to balance out the flavors, so I decided to make an Alfredo type sauce for them. Typically I don't cook a lot with cream or make cream sauces, but after experimenting a little, I think this one came out just right; not too heavy and the basil adds a nice freshness. Next time I make this sauce I think I will toss it with some fettuccine and sauteed mushrooms or shrimp. Of course, I won't be making this sauce weekly, it is not exactly bathing suit season friendly!

This sauce makes enough for a pound of pasta. If you are using one of those 8 ounce fresh pasta packages, then just divide this recipe in half!

1 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Cup freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese
4 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Shallot, minced
10 Fresh Basil leaves, chopped
1/8 Teaspoon white pepper*
1/4 Teaspoon Kosher salt

*White pepper adds a much more subtle flavor as a seasoning to cream based dishes and fish, such as salmon.

Melt butter in a medium/large saucepan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and shallots. Cook, until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add cream, Parmesan, and basil, increase heat to high and bring to a slow boil, reducing the sauce, about 4 minutes. When sauce is at desired consistency reduce heat to medium and add white pepper and salt, cooking an additional 2 minutes. Serve over pasta! You will probably want to serve it with some garlic bread to mop up all the yummy sauce as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment