Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Summertime Stimulus Package: 2 Bargain Whites

* I did not take the above picture but I would have liked to *

I am really more of a red wine girl, never really liked whites, in fact, I was downright snobbish about it. When I went wine tasting I would skip the whites and go straight for the reds, either handing the whites off to my husband, or just bypassing them all together. When you think about this, how sad and just plain ridiculous is it that I missed out on all that free wine? Good thing I have become more open minded, and in the name of palette training, over the years I have really come to appreciate a decent white. I enjoy white wines that are crisp and smooth, bottles that are especially good on a warm day, or when you want a glass of wine but nothing heavy or too sweet. White wine is the perfect companion to an outdoor barbecue or a beach picnic and also makes an excellent mask for pretending that you are not really drinking before cocktail hour…ha ha….

Fetzer Pinot Grigio (2006) is from California and can be found for around $6.99 a bottle. This wine is crisp, with hints of apple and pear, but not in a pear juice Chardonnay kind of way. This wine pairs well with spicy foods such as Thai and also went well with strawberries!

In a previous post I mentioned that I had yet to try Colombia Crest Vineyard 10 White Wine (2007). Well now I have, and this wine is a fabulous find at about $5.99! a bottle. This wine is smooth, with hints of citrus and apple. The Vineyard 10 has great drinkability and doesn't need any food, just a comfy chair and a patio!

No comments:

Post a Comment