Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lemon Linguine with Artichokes

Maybe it is the springtime (Yes, underneath this cloudy Portland weather), but I have been craving lemons and fresh greens lately, so I decided to make this pasta tonight for dinner. I usually make this recipe with shrimp. However last time I made it was for a girlfriends lunch and my girlfriend Julie proceeded to pick out all the shrimp and just eat the pasta. At first I was embarrassed that maybe my shrimp tasted terrible or something, but later found out she had developed an aversion to seafood during her pregnancy and was still not in the swing of things yet. That incident got me thinking about what might be a good shrimp-less substitute and I came up with artichokes. Also, I decided to try the artichokes, because they don’t have any cholesterol, whereas shrimp is actually very high in cholesterol. This dish is fast and simple for weeknight but also makes an elegant presentation if you were having guests over. Frozen artichokes (and artichokes in general) can be expensive, so whenever I go to Trader Joes (The cheapest I have found) I just stock up on them. If you wanted only pasta, this dish would still be tasty without the artichokes, the lemon really being the main flavor spot of this recipe. And of course, the little bit of wine used is just an excuse to open a bottle with dinner. Enjoy!

Also a quick money saver that anyone can do. (Yes, even while city living!) I have 2 window size boxes on my deck that I have planted herbs in. Sage, oregano , lemon thyme , thyme , chives , and parsley. Basil needs another month or so. Basically it cost me about $10 to plant all this, but is going to save me lots more than that by making it easy to have fresh herbs for cooking all spring and summer and not have to buy any! I think of it as sort of an herb pantry, knowing I always have these fresh on hand. Now just wish me luck remembering to water them!
Serves 4!

¾ Pound Linguine
1 Shallot (Finely Minced)
4 Cloves Garlic (Finely Minced)
3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
¼ Cup Dry White Wine
12 Ounces Frozen Artichoke Hearts (Dethawed)
¼ Cup Chopped Parsley
1 Lemon zested
Juice of 2 Lemons (Small) or 1 Large (About ¼ Cup)
¼ Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Kosher Salt and Pepper

Cook Linguine in salted boiling water. Meanwhile, melt butter and olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped shallots. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook 1 minutes. Add artichokes. Salt and pepper to taste. Add white wine. Cook altogether at a simmer until wine reduces, about 5 minutes. Add parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, and red pepper. Remove from heat. Toss with linguine and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment