Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sangria

I fell in love with sangria one hot July evening in Sevilla , Spain. I had stayed away from ordering sangria because I couldn’t quite get the concept, I mean why in the world would you serve red wine cold and with fruit? But evening after evening, regular wine, beer , or soda could not quench my thirst or cool me off. So after a few days I ordered a big glass of sangria with my dinner, just to see what all the fuss was about. After my first taste of a red wine &brandy soaked bit of apple, I knew there really was such a thing as love at first bite…..

Upon returning home, I became obsessed with sangria. No restaurants around where I lived served it, and if they had, I wasn’t 21 yet, so it wouldn’t have mattered. (Don‘t get me started on this country‘s drinking age laws….) So with Spanish cookbooks in hand, I set out perfecting my own sangria, testing it out on friends & family along the way. And in the end, I think I ended up with a pretty dang good recipe. To this day, my first batch of sangria symbolizes to me the start of summer , and all the wonderful memories it brings: pool parties, backyard bbqs, and hot Spanish nights. So whip yourself up as many batches of this you can this summer, because Christmas will be here before you know it…..
Sangria is traditionally made with a Spanish Rioja, but I find any dry red wine will do, I often use Colombia Crest Vineyard 10 or Barefoot Cabernet (the cheaper the wine, the more pitchers you can make!)

Red Wine Sangria

1 Bottle Red Wine (Medium Bodied)
2 Tablespoons Sugar
3 oz Brandy
1 Lime, Sliced
1 Orange , Sliced into ½ Circles
1 Lemon , Sliced
1 Red Apple, Cored & Chopped into Bite Size Pieces
Club Soda
Ice
In a large glass pitcher, combine all the fruit. Add brandy and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour in the wine, stir to combine. Refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, fill glasses with ice cubes, pour in wine and top off with club soda. The club soda is traditional to top off the Sangria, but I personally don’t use the club soda because I feel that is dilutes the wine taste too much, but it is a matter of preference.


After “perfecting” my red wine sangria, I sought out different versions of sangria, using white & sparkling wines. This was a version I made last summer for my sister in law Alexandra’s baby shower. It was a big hit with the ladies!

Jude’s Cava Sangria

1 Bottle Champagne or Cava (Dry or Extra Dry, none of that sickenly sweet Spumante stuff!)
1 Pink Grapefruit (Sliced into ½ circles)
1 navel orange (Sliced into half circles)
4 oz Grand Marnier
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 oz Lemonade
Ice Cubes
In a large glass pitcher, combine the fruit, lemonade, Grand Marnier, and sugar. Using a long wooden spoon, muddle the mixture to release the fruit juices and until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, up to overnight. When ready to serve, fill glasses with ice cubes. Slowly add the Cava to the pitcher, stirring gently to combine. Pour into glasses. Salut!

No comments:

Post a Comment