Monday, April 13, 2009

Spring BBQ: Cedar Planked Salmon with Fresh Herbs


Sunday night. 8:30 PM. Animal Fries from IN N OUT. Not really. I tried channeling that lady from those old Mervyn’s commercials ( “open, open , open”) to no avail. It was Easter Sunday and they were closed. For the first time ever on a trip home to California I did not get to eat at In n Out Burger. Even though this now means my craving for it will be twice as bad next time I visit; it was also a good sign. It meant that I had been eating so much wonderful fresh homecooking, I hadn’t even had time to think about it until the night before we were supposed to leave. On our trip, we ate at a few good restaurants, but we also had a couple great barbecues out at my dad’s house. My favorite was Saturday night when we made Cedar Planked Salmon. I had bought my dad the cedar planks 6 years ago, but they had gotten pushed to the back of the cupboard and then were recently rediscovered. Saturday evening they were finally put to use and were well worth the wait. The cedar plank allowed the salmon to cook perfectly through and still be moist. All the fresh herbs mingling with the cedar gave the salmon a remarkable flavor. It was hands down the best salmon I had ever had, and it was hard to stop eating it. I will definitely be cooking salmon this way all summer! Maybe next time I have it, it will be after an appetizer of those addictive Animal Fries…..

It is very important that you soak the cedar planks in water first or the wood will catch on fire! Cedar planks can be bought at most larger grocery stores in the fish section , ordered online , or even cut at your local lumberyard. Try to use wild salmon, if using farmed, try to avoid using Atlantic Salmon. (For more information see: http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx )

This recipe is for 1 salmon (serving 4) but can easily be doubled. (We made 2!)

1 Cedar Plank
1 2-3 Pound Salmon Fillet (Skinned and Boned)
3 Tablespoons McCormick’s Salt Free Parsley & Herb Blend ( contains oregano, crushed red pepper, basil , rosemary , parsley, paprika, and lemon pepper)
3 Sprigs Rosemary
3 Sprigs Lemon Thyme
3 Sprigs Dill
3-4 Lemon Slices

Place salmon on soaked cedar plank. Sprinkle seasoning blend on salmon. If you don’t have that seasoning blend, make up your own, but try to use much of those same ingredients. Lay the fresh herb sprigs on top of the salmon, with the dill on top. Place lemon slices on top of the dill sprigs. Barbecue salmon over a medium high flame on a gas grill for 25 minutes. We served this salmon alongside garlic bread and a jazzed up caeser salad. Add some wine to this mix and you have the perfect outdoor spring dinner party!

2 comments:

  1. Dewd, this only serves to remind me that my grill has been languishing unloved on the deck since the Bean was born. That salmon looks amazing - I'm looking forward to when you cook it for us! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for good salmon recipes. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete